Monday, December 19, 2011

What is the legal definition for running a business out of your home?

I live in a HOA I have fallen on hard times like everyone else. I have two rooms that I have rented out so that I can make my mortgage payment. My roommates have been with me for about 4 months now, we all go to work and come home to sleep. Everyone is quite (no parties or drugs etc.), stays to themselves & minds their own business. Had they not came when they did I would have lost my home by now I am sure. There was a newsletter put out by our ociation that was quite nasty that said something to the effect that there have been alot of folks out there who got involved in lawsuits because they violated the HOA rules-"don't let it happen to you" They mentioned a laundrylist of things some people are doing and then they said you cannot run a business out of your home, and put in parenthesis (renting out rooms like a hotel). When I checked our bylaws, it just said running a business they added the renting out rooms part just for the shock value for the newsletter. I am not doing this for spending money, I am just trying to survive. I do have a kid to feed as well. To me running a business out of your home is like cutting hair & charging a fee, or animal boarding or babysitting for $. Can they really come after me for this? Needless to say that you can use your home for rental purposes if you decide to leave the property, so what the heck difference should that make if I am living here with them or away somewhere and renting the place....Also, I am very aware there are others in this neighborhood who are doing the exact same thing to make it. Please advise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment